Friday, January 20, 2017

Pedestal Table Makeover

Pedestal Table Makeover

I am so sorry this is going to be the worst before and after project reveal for the fact that I did not take before pictures. But here is kind of what I started with: 


Just a run-of-the-mill craigslist pedestal table. The table top was made out of solid oak wood,with a solid oak leaf, and there were minor water rings on the table top. The bottom was in good shape (definitely made out of cheap pressed wood rather than solid wood like the table top). 

Here's what I did: 
  1. I detached the pedestal from the table top by taking out the screws. 
  2. I sanded down the table top. I did not strip it all the way down to the bare bones, as I knew I was going to re-stain it a similar color. 
  3. I wiped down the table top to get rid of all of the sawdust and let it completely dry
  4. I stained the table top using "hickory" colored stain 
  5. After letting the stain dry completely, I applied 2 coats of poly 
Now for the pedestal: 
  1. I cleaned the pedestal first and foremost
  2. I was able to detatch the legs from the pedestal hull
  3. I lightly sanded all parts of the pedestal to prepare for spray painting
  4. I applied 3-4 coats of white spray paint, until the entire pedestal looked uniformly white. 
  5. I applied a clear coat of spray, just because I would hate to have spaghetti or something drop on the white pedestal and leave a stain. I think it would have been safe if I skipped this part, but I wanted to be sure. 
  6. After everything was dry, I put it all back together. 

Ta-da: 



Not too shabby for a $20 Craigslist find! I really didn't need a new table, but I couldn't pass up a chance to make this a beautiful table. It went back on Craigslist for $50 (I could've gotten more, but I wanted to get it out of my apartment), and it went to a nice couple who is expecting a baby soon! Well worth the time :)

Like I said, next time, I will include more pictures. This was done on a whim, so I will be more thoughtful next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment